February 6, 2010

Why Ride Right Now?

Sometimes I take myself too seriously.... Today was one of them. Then I realized something mid-ride today. How can I be outside riding my bike in early February, 23 degrees with 15 mph wind, and an hour from home and be thinking this is the rational thing to do on a day like today.
Q: Why am I doing this? A: I do this because I enjoy it.



I enjoy the suffering
I enjoy the speed
I enjoy the races
I enjoy the adventure
I enjoy the bikes
I enjoy the gear
I enjoy the lifestyle
I enjoy the commute
I enjoy the friends
I enjoy the dirt and mud
I enjoy the outdoors
I enjoy the fitness
I enjoy the hills
I enjoy the trainer (sometimes)
I enjoy the strange looks I get at the car dealership when I drop the car off, wearing lycra and leaving the garage on a bicycle.

Mostly a cross country mountain biker at heart. Certainly not a hucker. And yes, even a roadie, although I may not shave my legs, occasionally sport baggies, sometimes don a camelbak instead of multiple water bottles, wear goggles in the extreme cold, and numerous other things counter-roadie culture.










Here's to another snowy, winter ride everyone. Cheers!

Joe

3 comments:

Scraps said...

A real man (and woman) doesn't ask permission. You make your own style with the road in front of you as your own. That is true roadie culture, spit, sweat and the hum of a well maintained chain, not necessarily team booties, but if that floats someone's roadie boat, right on.

bobtouch said...

Right on! Ride on!

Saddledancer said...

You said it!
Nothing like two wheels and a saddle below you and a road infron.
Ride on!!!!!!!