May 4, 2007

Where are Evan and Owen and Andy


Well, we are all out on the open road racing bikes and living life to the fullest. Last I heard from Andy he was sleeping in a field somwhere in Cali getting ready for a MTB race. I actually saw some results and he finished up like 7th and 11th in his last races. I'm hoping he'll come out from the wilderness sometime soon to write about it. I look forward to his wittty blog postings. As for myself and Owen, we are racing The Tour of GIla in NM. This is a full on NRC stage race where the top teams in the country show up and throw down. We just started two days ago with a time trial. Both Owen and myself are not very good at TTs. They require a lot of expensive equipment to be dialed in. That's my excuse anyway. So the TT went as well as expected. I was placed 79th. Nathan O'neil was the TT winner. If you don't know who he is you should just google his name. He's kinda fast. So this is a 5 day stage race and it's usually the last man standing in the end. The overall results can change big time by the last day. I'm hoping they continue to improve for myself.
Yesterday was the first big road race stage. the race was about 90 miles and finished with a 5 mile climb with grades up to 20%. There was a four man break off the front the entire day, but Health net was working hard to pull it back. It's amazing how calculated they can do it. We caught the break with about 2 miles to go. I was feeling good, but not good enough to finish with the front guys. I ended up 37th and Owen was just behind me. The pic above is of our friend Adam Curry. This was just after he crossed the line. You can tell by the look on his face how hard it was.
I'll keep you posted on the days to come. Evan

No comments: