November 1, 2007

Costa Rica and back




Hey this is Evan. It's been awhile since I've written anything here. It's been almost a month since I've had my own computer. I actually forgot how to copy and paste if you can believe that. I kind of like the fact that I had forgot some stuff. Maybe my memory is slipping I'm not sure. At any rate I'm back from a month of traveling throughout Costa Rica.
Owen and I headed out just after inter bike (oct 2nd) and hit the coast in search of surf/ coffee/and more surf. We traveled with our surfboards and small backpacks. It was one great adventure after another. We opted to travel with the locals on the bus instead of renting a car. I kind of wanted to rent the car, but Owen insisted we travel cheap and not contribute to global warming by burning up liters of gas. I think he just wanted to save money. I'm glad we took the bus though. It made for more adventure than we could handle. Eleven hour bus rides can keep things interesting. I rescued a couple of village girls from a deadly snake that had one of them cornered in a room. I'm not sure the snake was even dangerous, but I felt like the late crocodile hunter Steve Irwin for sure.
The surf was good and we were in the water every chance we had. When the surf wasn't good, we occupied our time with games of checkers (Owens really good), drinking massive amounts of coffee. Owen drank 12 cups one day and didn't sleep the rest of the trip. We also gathered up some other travelers for some beach clean up one afternoon. We barely made a dent, but we did our best. We spent about 2 hrs picking up trash and were rewarded with a whopping 11 bags(see the pics).
Besides surfing coffee was on our mind. Owen left after 2 1/2 weeks and I continued on and toured a remote organic coffee farm.

I'm in search of our next great coffee to offer and may have found it. This beautiful farm sits high in the southern mountain bordering the La Amisted national park. Here are a few pics of the area. The differences between an Organic farm and a non-organic farm were very noticeable. The organic farm was full of life and the non organic not so much. Ok this post is wearing out my fingers. All said it was a great trip, but I'm happy to be back.

No comments: