December 2, 2008

Saddle Therapy

So here I sit. In a condo (more like a townhouse in a condo complex) in Issaquah, WA that I purchased in May. A vote to increase homeowner dues by 7% was entered 3 weeks ago, the same day I received my lay off notice. I have some money in the bank, and I am cashing in my County retirement to help, and my live in girlfriend has some money, but things aren't all that great. My mother also died on December 23, 2003, and that has been on my mind. I have been more than close to tears these last few days, and have been an internal emotional wreck even when my exterior was a nice calm. But get me in the saddle, whether on the road or on a trainer in my garage, and all that disappears in a blink of an eye (or turn of the crank). I rediscover what I was made for and what life is for-to push myself to the limit, and beyond To go where I never thought possible. My existence comes down to so many seconds spent turning the pedals. One of my favorite novel series deals with Haven Pharmeceuticals, and explains what I feel every time I clip in. No matter what is going outside, I am all I was meant to be and more than I ever thought possible when I am in the drops, or on the hoods and making perfect circles.
God bless the bike and God bless you all,
Ty (aka saddledancer)

4 comments:

53x11 Coffee said...

Life is like one of those bike rides with all it's twists and turns and ups and downs. There's a new beginning over every hill and around every corner. Keep the rubber side down and everything will be fine.

Saddledancer said...

It sure is. Even when the wind is against me and I bonk I have an incredible and memorable and enjoyable ride.

KC said...

Thank you for this. It's relieving to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Life can generally suck and everyone else's idea of what should be therapeutic is really just more stressful, but climbing in the saddle is the best way for me to work through stuff.

doug said...

read thanksgiving post on the BKW (belgium knee warmers) web site,
keep pedaling, its helped me too through difficult times