April 9, 2009

Finally!

Well I finally got to race this year. I had high aspirations at the end of 2008 for a race and fun filled campaign in 2009. However, due to several bouts of illness in late February and early March I missed my first two races. Then horrendous weather stopped me from competing in my next 3 races. I didn't train much in March and finally started feeling "normal" a few weeks back so did a race last Tuesday out at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. It is a Tuesday night weekly series held through August with 5 different courses on a closed car racing venue. We raced the flast, an approximately 2 mile oval for 41 minutes. It was by far the largest group of 4/5s ever to assemble out there (75). It was good to get my racing legs back and to get the feel of the peloton back in my bones. I hung in the back for most of it and socialized a bit and proudly wore the team colors. I made one move down the home stretch with 3 laps to go for my girlfriend (really for her video camera:), but I ran out of steam after passing 60 riders:).
We had 3.5 days of summer weather over the weekend allowing me to do several long rides with my training buddies. I feel much better for the Deschutes River TT Festival in Maupin, OR to be held over the last weekend in April.
I so enjoyed reading Kris' Tour of Flanders account. I watched here in the U.S. and can't wait for Paris Roubaix. I so want to go and ride the Muir. Thanks for the commentary Kris and say hi to Eddy for me will ya?
I also want to welcome all the new riders and to wish them and the old gang a very good 2009.
More later from the Pacific Northwest.
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: