April 16, 2009

The racing economy

I know we see headlines that corporate sponsors are pulling out from sports advertising, even the golf Masters is not immune. Bike teams have always had to fight for a good sponsorship anyhow.

But the races themselves? Has anyone else seen damage to the number of available races around them? The 3 big races I wanted to start with this spring have all been canceled or never rescheduled. The story is the same: we can no longer, do not have the time, can not afford, etc.
Even the Kickstand Cyclery web comic is on break.

I knew I lived in a little bit of a hole, as far as the local bike racing seemed. But now, most races are nearly 3 hours away. There are a few closer TT and crits, but they are on weeknights, start before I get out of work, and still 60-90 minutes away. I'd have to get out of work early, drive, then do a 12mile TT? I know it's that thinking that leads to smaller crowds, and less resources for the promoters.

I think it's time I start planning on hosting my own events on this side of the state for once. You would think Des Moines and Omaha would have enough riders to support something. We don't all have to go to Eastern Iowa. Omaha has a few races, but not too many. There might be an opportunity here.

Any thoughts? Anyone else see local races suffering? Any advice on planning?

4 comments:

Bill said...

So far in the North West I haven't seen a decline and or cancellations above the ordinary. I was at the Barking Spider last weekend and the numbers seemed pretty good as well.

I would not be able to even go to the races this year though due to job cuts and if it were not for some contributions from others.

If the number of racers go way down I wonder if next years events and planning will suffer?

Mike Homick said...

I can say that I have seen few repercussions here in the mid-atlantic. There have been some events postponed but nothing has been cancelled. From my perspective, it looks like the number of folks pre-registering for MTB races may be down but not by much. Might be more weather-related than anything else. Road races are filling up faster this year than last but that is due to a change in the manner in which the BAR is contested reulting in fewer races offered at the venues.

RichOsborne said...

Meh....The closest crit series just got canceled, because the park they held it in never fixed the roads from flooding last year, and they are destroyed come spring.
"We'll see what we can do once they pave it again"

At least I talked my town into forming the first bike lane in town!!

RF said...

MTB race this Saturday in omaha, swanson park. tight, twisty venue. It will be fun! nebraskacyclingnews.com and psycowpath.com