May 21, 2009

Finding my Legs!

After 3 solid months off of the bike (other than the trainer for a month) I'm finally finding my legs again. Still haven't found them completely, that'll take another 6 weeks and some further recovery time.

I had major back surgery Feb 10th and have been cleared for the last six weeks to get back on the road and ride less then 80kms a day. This weekend I will be allowed to move to 100kms and next weekend I'll be in Southern France climbing Ventoux. I know, it's ridiculous right.

The day before surgery the doc expected me to be back on the bike in six months, three weeks ago he said I looked like a patient recovered after 6 months, after only three actual months.

After putting in LOADS of kms over the last three weeks, including the Flanders climbs and some other 16% grades, I've decided my first race will be June 6th... http://www.amicalecyclisteduhainaut.be/index.htm... with races every weekend until 12th of July - The Region Championships.

Last year I raced in this series and finished most of the races, sometimes with the front group (in Cat 3) sometimes just behind the group, a minute back, or lapped (Cat 2 or B). This year I plan to peak in August and will do my best to win a race and put an American name on a Belgian Podium. So what if it isn't Flanders or Roubaix.

I attended all three major Spring Classics this year and have amazing pictures from two of them. At Roubaix I was near the big crash entering the Arenberg trench and at Liege-Bastogne I was at the start, Cote de Ny, and Cote de la Redoute. For the second year in a row I was almost hit by Alejandro Valverde on La Redoute.

I've also started the twitter thing, check me out under screen name Cyclopathic.

Okay, I'm outta here, time for dinner and an early bed time, I have "80" kms (I mean 100) tomorrow in the sunny 75 degree weather.

Denis Menchov was amazing in the Giro Time Trial today, I hope he isn't on the Schumacher/Kohl training program. I kid...good job Denis and Levi. Now get out and get the Maglia Rosa off of Menchov's back Levi!

VOTE FOR THE RED JERSEY!!!

No comments: