May 11, 2009

Mistaken For Starbucks

So there I was, helping out at last Saturday's Ravensdale road race in Ravensdale, WA. I had volunteered to assist with the 8 am races to gain free entry into the 11am Masters C/D race. I was in my all black Alter Ego kit with white and black arm warmers (yes, despite the attempt to design a new kit with either blue or red my heart lies with BLACK) stationed at the finish line. I had already swept the final 200 meters and helped lay down the finish line timing/photo strip and been a model for the finish line camera, when two spectators asked if I rode for Starbucks. I immediately set them straight and referred them to the company's website. I then went down to the 200 meter to go sign to help with traffic when a rider commented on the alter-ego kit. Like many others he liked it A LOT.
I had not raced an officially sanctioned road race since June of 2007 (Elkhorn Classic Stage Race Baker City, OR), so I was a bit anxious. I also was having issues with my right hamstring (old running injury) and my recent training had not gone as planned, so I was hoping to just finish this race. It was 45 miles, consisting of 5 laps of a 9 mile rolling course (only 2 real right hand turns and no real climbs or descents). 75 riders started in the Masters C/D. The first 2.5 laps were uneventful, breaks going and being caught each lap. I stayed near the back getting my racing legs back. Then in the middle of the 3rd lap on a flat straight section a crash occurred in the middle of the pack, taking out several riders. I was able to avoid it and then had to work like a dog to rejoin the lead pack as it had put the hammer down after the crash. We were suddenly down to about 50 riders. Then, just a few miles into the 4th lap after a right hand turn another crash occurred just ahead of me. This time I barely avoided it and had to stop to get around it. The lead group was already gone when I started to pedal. I was soon joined by 6 others but did not have the legs to assist in the chase. I think we all gave up on rejoining and had resigned ourselves to a final 1.5 laps on our own when the follow race vehicle passed us to rejoin the lead group. My ego was bruised a bit and I wanted to rejoing the pack when I noticed it had slowed down and was dangling tantalizing close to us. I put in a sustained effort and took the 6 others back up the group. It felt so good to be a factor and to be back in the safety of the lead pack. I was thanked for my efforts which was a real boost. I knew I had no legs to contest a finish and was just happy to finish the last 1.5 laps with the group. We all took it a bit easy and safe as we were tired of the crashes. I finished 30th out off 45 finishers and 75 starters. I was very happy with my efforts and performance as my hamstring was acting up. I may go out next month for another race in the same area (60 miles).
For now I am happy to be flying the team colors in the all black alter-ego kit. But if I have to vote I definitely will go with the Red.
Stay safe and keep the rubber side down.
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

2 comments:

Cyclopathic said...

Congrats on the finish Team I am not starbucks.

Saddledancer said...

Thanks Tall Guy!