November 12, 2009

Why 53x11 coffee Bob T.

Awhile back I said I was going to share my thoughts on why I joined 53x11 coffee team, well its getting to be the chilly time of year in my neck of the woods and things are finally slowing down for me a bit. Honestly I did get off track a little this past year, I wasn't aware but when you buy a new house it comes with a black hole that sucks in all things, including time. And I found myself spending more time with wifey instead of my bikey. And sometimes she would say "you should go for a ride" so either she loves me very much or I'm bugging her...I can never tell, can anyone?
I just moved (this was the house previous to this one) two hours away from my old team, The Dutch Wheelman from Bloomsburg Pa. Really had some awesome fun times but I started to feel a little distant and not a part of things. So off I went on my own kinda, I found that the people you beat in a race (and they feel you shouldn't have) will probably not want to be too friendly, and the people I beat, well human nature is what it is...so honestly unless you have spent some time in an area, just going and racing (for me anyway) just didn't do it as far as what I would call the feeling of comradery. And I could warmly be known as the competition , so you could probably guess I may get a bum tire from a local bike shop. That's not a metaphor, this actually happens. But still respected and I willing to share the respect and admiration of others, its no biggee.
I'm a big boy and can stand on my own two feet, so off I went looking for what is known as 53x11 team, Evan was in the early years of 53x11 blog and I too, being older but still young in that I wanted something new. I sent Evan an E-mail and He got back to me almost that day, we sent a few more back and forth. I found Evan to be easy going, accepted every one from cat 5's to Pro's, I think I fit in there somewhere. My wife likes the coffee; me, sometimes I get a sort of bike shop after taste that's really freaky, takes me back. Anyone else? But since then in the years that folowed I have made more friends and now would probably join a local team but now everyone associates me with 53x11 coffee, I'm not a pro with contracts hanging over my head, just a boy and a bike, a great find in coffee and the 53x11 team. I will be at the coffee house Jan 4th, looking forward to a good time.

1 comment:

bobtouch said...

I hope this was taken in the spirit in which it was written, Some of my friends didn't get the part about racing, and after reading it again myself I felt I tried to get my feelings out as best I could but didn't come out quit right. Bear with me. I'm very light hearted and easy going, most of us find that thinking more globally so to speak we have richer lives and tend to seak out the 'goody' in life so to speak. Read the testimonials from people that have had the opportunity to spend time with Owen, Evan and there associates at the coffee house and you'll have to agree, this is some of the goody in which we search...