September 10, 2010

Volunteer

I have been competing in bike races and runs for 30 plus years now, and am so appreciative of all the volunteers who have put in countelss hours to put the various events on. I have done some volunteering myself over the years, and have assisted with bike races, 5ks, a 1/2 Ironman tri in Idaho (great weekend), a kids duathlon in Maryland (awesome time) and a local sprint tri for the last 4 years. This year's event was 2 weeks ago and I was assigned the task of monitoring part of the bike leg, setting up cones and keeping them in place if knocked down. I put several miles on my single speed riding up and down my mile section. Before my duties began I got to spend 15 mins of quality solo time down at the lake shore. Such still water. I sat on a log and had the small beach to myself as I watched ducks and geese.
After my cone duty I was assigned traffic control at a busy intersection, and was pleasantly surprised by several geese flying very low overhead.
I got such a kick out of watching these athletes of all abilities, and cheered each one on with sincere enthusiasm. seeing their waves and smiles really made my day. Being on "this" side always helps me when I compete myself.
I call on all my team mates to volunteer at least once in 2011. You will get so much out of it:)
Ty

No comments: