January 28, 2011

Great Weather in TN Today!

Here in East TN we have been taking it in the shorts as far as the weather goes this year. We can always count on a snow that lasts a day or two, and brief cold snap that never really amounts to anything prolonged and depressing like you might get in Milwaukee or some other place up north. This year has been different though. We have had more snow events since Christmas than I can remember in the last 20 years, and it seems like the temperature has stayed down in the 30's for more consecutive days than since Hector was a pup. So when our local weather guesser predicted temps in the 40's today I just could not stand it and knew I had to get a ride in today. Don't get me wrong I like riding the MTB in the snow, mud , and ice and I will ride in the 30's with anyone, but when I get on the road bike it has to at least be in the 40's for me.

I brought my SS down from home with the intent of riding the greenway outside of my office door at lunch. I put on the usual tights, wool jersey, etc. to go ride and found out what I am sure most of you guys already knew...the 53x11 wind vest I picked up during the Christmas sale is awesome and provided just the right amount of comfort without making me too warm once I got going. While hitting the pavement in the 40's hardly qualifies as Rule 5 riding conditions, one thing I did notice is that there was an unusal element of friendlness shared between the few cyclists I passed today. Most of the time when we pass the usual acknowledgment is a slight head nod, or lifting a finger off of the brake hood. Today, however each encounter was marked by capturing eyes, exchanging a knowing smile, and even lifting the whole hand off of the bars to exchange the greeting. Seems like we appreciate the comraderie more when we are not able to get out and ride enough.

I hopeful that this weekend of weather hitting the 50's is a sign that group rides and road racing are just around the corner. Looks like Joe (my 14 yr old stud) and I are kicking it off w/a Circuit race in Louiville KY on March 9. Here's looking forward to some decent weather for sprint intervals and hill repeats. And as for you guys in AZ and other sunny climes.....its not polite to gloat.

Later!

1 comment:

Saddledancer said...

So good to hear you are getting out and about. Those meets and greets between cyclists are such a morale booster. I will get my ss out this weekend as the weather seems to be improving here in the Pacific NW.