January 10, 2011

Rasberry

As I write this on my break at work I am sporting a lovely rasberry on my left hip, courtesy of a semi-idotic move on my part last Saturday on the first road ride of the year. I was trying to beat on-coming traffic at the entrance to my condo complex when I made a hard left into the drive at high speed, laying on the brakes a bit too hard. My rear wheel slid out in the left over rain/snow grime in the bike lane, and I slid out in glorius fashion. My first thought was how stupid I was, then I feared my tights and jacket were shredded as it felt like I slid a ways on the pavement. Good thing I was in generic black rather than a team kit.
I was able to get up and stumble into my garage where I almost passed out on the floor. After some minutes I got up and inspected the bike-scraped up pedal and brake lever and shredded bar tape, but overall my single speed came out pretty good. My tights were soiled but not torn and neither was my jacket. My left shoe took some damage too but is still quite functional. Thank goodness as I cannot afford to buy clothing right now.
My hip is doing much better though still tender and bruised and scraped. I have to gingerly sit in my cubicle. i was able to run today for a quick 1.5 on my lunch, and for that I am very grateful. I am also able to ride the trainer so I will get in a 45 min workout tonight.
My girlfriend says I need a tattoo. I have enough natural ones, and thanks to Saturday's spill I have a new one:)

1 comment:

Gotta Ride Today said...

The weather here has been so bad it is hard to stay put. After spending the weekend on the sidelines watching cross races I had to get out yesterday. Went MTB in the snow and mud and spent a significant amount of time on my butt. Still it was fun although I am feeling banged up today. Here's looking for some dry pavment soon to get out for a training ride.