February 26, 2011

My First Non-Race of the Year

Today was to mark the start of my 2011 season. The Frostbite Timetrial in Everett, Washington, about 40 miles north of home (Issaquah). I rode the "retro division" last year on my 10 speed equipped Merlin, and was quite excited to ride my single speed this year in the "retro" division. It is a 9 mile flat out and back course.
Unfortunately we have had some extreme and cold weather the last few weeks. Not like the mid-atlantic and east coast but still rather trying-cold with snow showers. Today was no exception. The race was delayed 2 hours but that did nothing to stop the snow and cold and wind. We left Issaquah with plenty of time to spare. Unfortunately I drove through a Burger King Drive Thru with my "race bike" on the roof rack, driving into an overhead sign. I have driven into 3 overhangs in 31 years of riding, and have pretty much come away damage free. Today included. I hit the saddle on the sign but no damage was incurred, though the sound of impact did indicate otherwise. A quick look at the bike and truck and roof rack revealed no damage. We continued on and soon encountered blowing snow.
I then realized that although I had brought two pairs of shoes (including a pair of thermal boots), two bikes, a trainer and tons of clothing (I was wearing two Underarmour tops, 2 team skinsuits, a winter Sugoi bib tight, a team jacket, and a down jacket, I forgot a thermal hat to wear under the helmet). I was expecting a very cold 24 minute race.
Though the shoulder of the course was covered with snow, and the snow showed no signs of stopping, I signed in. More to show my manliness than anything else. My gut told me the race was going to be canceled but I had no intention of waiting. I drove us home and discovered that home was cold but dry. After cleaning the bike and taking off all my layers and riding my trainer I went on-line and received several emails re the cancellation of the race.
It should be reset for August, renamed the Sunburn TT. I do have the Icebreaker TT next week. Lets hope this one does go off.....
Stay warm and safe!
T

1 comment:

Gotta Ride Today said...

Rule 9:
If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Glad your bikes escaped unscathed!