March 6, 2011

Riding Angry

Sometimes when I watch Paul and Phil commentate on bike racing they use the phrase-"the peloton is in an angry mood." Not that the riders are angry (maybe they are-who knows?), but that the pack is either bringing back a break or is putting the hammer down. I have been in both types of situations. I have also been in a third-not often but sometimes like today.
I did an anger ride-I was angry with 2 friends for messing up a text about riding today (I really needed some guy time but ended up riding solo), I was angry with my gf for a comment she made this morning while waiting for my friends about my buying habits (money is tight and I recently bought two new white team kits. But I had sold several pieces of bike clothing on ebay to finance those 2 transactions, plus currently I am the sole bread winner for us and our 5 cats so felt a bit self righteous about what I could and couldn't buy with "my own money"). I also was angry with myself for wimping out on yesterday's Icebreaker TT. It was a 10 mile flat course I had planned on racing my single speed on, but after last week's blizzard fiasco and our 31 days of rain/snow for the year I was in no mood to get wet. But lo and behold it turned into one of the nicest days of the year.
Anyway, I did 15 miles of effort and anger this morning in mostly cloudy and cool conditions. The only thing I wasn't angry with or at was the bike. I never am. No matter what my mental state, physical condition or the weather, my bikes are never to blame. They always carry my weight and burdens, and pedal stroke by pedal stroke those hurt and angry and self righteous feelings are shed.
I returned home tired and a lot less angry.
Now if I could only post a real race report:)

No comments: