March 21, 2011

The First


Well, I finally "raced" my first race of the year yesterday, the 9 mile Skagit County TT along Padilla Bay, about 80 miles north of Seattle. I rode my single speed and boy what fun, and wind. The first half had a downhill with flat in wide open farm country that had an incredible headwind. The return was a lot of fun with a full blown tail wind. I thought I clocked 24:02 for the retro division, but finished offically in 23:58.7. I was 6th out of 8 entrants, but the only single speed:)

My warm up was a lot of fun as I sat on my trainer gazing at the Olympic Mountains and Padilla Bay, full of whitecaps from the wind. I even saw a bald eagle which was inspiring.

Getting to the race was fun as I took a wrong turn, but thanks to my gf's smart phone we arrived on time. I then had to scramble to sign in as I was confused over the registration location and barely made it to the start line.
We then hung out in the little hamlet of Edison where we had a great lunch and I picked up a new riding partner for my seatpost (Tigger).

Anyway, a real blast (no pun intended).

All the best to my teammates,

Ty

No comments: