July 28, 2009

The Heat Is On

You may or may not know, and may or may not care, but the Pacific Northwest is stuck in a very hot and smoggy stretch. Well over 100 now with no real relief in sight for several days. It really started last Sunday when I raced OUCH.
Tonight I raced the flat course out at Pacific and I really thought only a few riders would show. I was so wrong. A large field and consistent laps (4:30 for around 2 miles) meant I hung at the back a lot. It was a good workout in record setting heat. I could just feel the heat radiating off the drag strip as we headed down the back stretch.
I was thanked early on by my breakaway partner from last week. That was a nice gesture. It turns out he did not win last week, but was caught just near the finish. I also helped bridge a gap after a prime lap, bringing the rest to the front group of 6 or so and was thanked for my efforts. Another nice gesture. I did have 2 full bottles of h2o and my sleeveless alter-ego jersey, but I suffered nonetheless.
In any event another fun and safe event. Just 5 more Tuesday night races left!
Hope my teammates stay cool. Too hot to write more:) And it's 10:50 pm!
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: