July 21, 2009

THAT'S RACING!

By now you know I really do enjoy racing the Tuesday night series out in Kent at Pacific Raceways. Tonight was a 50 minute race with a clockwise loop of the 2+ mile circuit up the escape route, my 2nd most favorite of the 5 courses out there. It was clear, hazy and HOT (low 90s). There were about 30 riders in the 4/5 group and we took it at a sane pace for the most part due to the heat. I am not a fan of over 80 temps and manage as best I can. I drank a lot tonight and never had cramp issues. I did ride near the back for the most part but did ride strong up the 400 meter ramp, usually being in the top 10 at the top. It is a beautiful course and we race in view of Mount Rainier.
Before the start I had thought of breaking away with 3 laps to go but as the race progressed I just wanted to feel okay in the heat. Unfortunately for me I did break away up the escape route with 2 laps to go. All I did was maintain my pace while the others eased up. Before I knew it I was crossing the finish line with 2 laps to go with about a 200 meter lead. One rider did join me and we worked for a lap. The group was not in sight and I had dreams of finishing 2nd and getting some points. Alas my legs were not as strong as my imagination and I had to let my "break buddy" go. I was caught with a 1/2 lap to go and then flatted (rear) at the base of the escape route, ending up walking through the finish. I did get a high five from the race director and I think my "break buddy" won.
All in all a very fun race as usual. And I took the flat (like my wrong turn 2 weeks ago) in stride-THAT'S RACING!
All the best to Evan and my fellow teammates.
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: