July 1, 2009

Not Enough Words

I don't know how to describe last night's race out at Pacific in Kent. The Cliffnotes Version-my hardest ever?
The course was my least favorite, which was the opposite of last week's race, meaning D...O...W...N the S turn. The approach is down a straight ramp of about 100 meters, which comes about a mile into the race. You then hit the S itself, a severe chicane, another one hundred meters. Cars and motorcycles race out there year round, and if Porches and Ducatis crash, just think about our lil ol two wheel ti, steel, carbon and aluminum machines. I myself did crash a few years back going down the Escape Route, which is just a continuance of the entrance ramp. I was okay, save for some road rash on my shins, but my derailleur hanger on my Carbon Look was busted.
Anyhow, "Down the S" is not favored by many racers, and one of my training buddies even skipped out last night when he found out we would be riding that course. And he is much better (and younger than me:) The fear of course is crashes, especially with all the newbies in the 4/5s.
The 4/5s started first of the three groups, and we raced for 64 minutes, about 12 laps. We did have a crash, but it was on the long flat near the start and at the start of the 2nd lap when riders slowed and someone was not paying attention. A rider off to my right went down and I heard that familiar but unwanted sound.
I always hang back on this course, picking my line through the S, then working like heck to rejoin during the next 1/2 mile, consisting of a few uphill rollers. We then have about 1.5 miles of flat where sometimes I make a break. But not last night. Last night was no different except for the no attacking. I was able to ride the route 3 times before the start so I was a bit familiar with it. One positive aspect is that the S turn is a very nice and smooth surface, compared to the Escape Route which has a lot of ruts and pot holes (hence my crash).
I was off the back each of the first 3 laps at the bottom of the S and worked like heck to rejoin. Thank goodness all my local training rides consist of a lot of traffic lights at the start and finish which condition me to really work it for short periods (i.e. intervals). The 4th lap was a prime, and we were all (30 riders) strung out. The finish of the race was at the top of the rollers following the S turn, and when we crossed the line for the Prime I was way off the back with several others. I had pretty much thrown in the towel by then, thinking the next 40 minutes would be a nice tempo ride. But alas we were passed by the 1/2/3s, and a buddy of mine thought we could pace off them to rejoin our pack when it went neutral while the 1/2/3s passed it. It worked and I was able to pull 4 guys back up. It felt really good to be thanked for my efforts. I am more of a domestique than a star. But I was toast and hung at the back for the next 4 laps. I then pretty much gave up the fight at 40 minutes to go when we hit the top of the rollers, but right when I sat up and let everyone go, I decided to try and give it another shot. No real ego on my part. It just seemed that the group wasn't hammering. So I did. And again I caught the pack just before the S turn. 2 laps later I was about to sit up again when we were caught by the Masters and had to go neutral again. Some guys up front broke the rules and long standing tradition of going neutral and went with the "really good older guys and gals." The rest of us kind of neutralized. It still was a tough finish but I hung in there. I somehow ended up with a group of Masters mixed in with the 4/5s. I was so wiped afterwards but quite satisfied.
I even was approached afterwards by a rider from Garage (a very good local squad). He loved the Alter Ego kit (which is very similar to Garage in coloring-black with some red and white). I told him all about the company and the website.
My girlfriend describes me as Sticky. If you have read Ten Points you know what I mean. Last night I was more like Stretch Armstrong (if you are in my age bracket you know what I mean:)).
I may not have laughed or socialized but I did enjoy the ride. And that is what counts. Right Jeff?
Enough for now. Get well Jeff!
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

2 comments:

Jeff@5280Denver said...

Ty -
Good going on your race. And yes "pliability" like stretch Armstrong is a good thing, just remember to get pulled back into shape.
Keep up the training, racing, and the racing stories!
Jeff

Saddledancer said...

Thanks Jeff. I will certainly keep you all posted on my shape. Or lack thereof:)