April 15, 2007

Coffee and Racing


Getting up at 4 am makes for a long day. That's what we did yesterday. We are sponsoring a local stage race here in Tucson and part of the deal was to provide coffee to the riders. But we also wanted to race the event. We were up at 4am brewing coffee, on the road by 5am, and racing in the middle of the desert by 11am. It made for a very very long day. Everyone was jacked to see the 53x11coffee crew at the race site offering piping hot Chain Breaker, Big Ring , and The Early Break coffee. Most of the Tucson riders know about the coffee and are big fans so they were happy to see us. The race was on a grueling 6 mile circuit with three killer climbs in it. Doing this race feeling fresh is one thing, but to do this after getting up at 4am is another.

Some where on the 2nd lap my rear wheel came loose in the dropouts and started rubbing the frame. After getting dropped on the 2nd climb I looked down to notice the wheel rubbing the frame. I jumped off the bike to fix it, my chain fell off, I struggled to get things going. I had these thoughts going through my head of the Kona Iron man Champ yelling at his bike. I felt like doing the same. He is German, I forget his name but it was pretty funny. He's yelling ( I'VE GOT NO POWER, I'VE GOT NO POWER). That's just how I felt.

But this is a stage race and in order to race the follwing day, you must finish each stage. So I rode 65 miles and 10 more laps solo. It sucked, but I did it. I finished, recovered and slept good. I'm up this morning drinking some Big Ring and planning how I'm going to win todays stage. It's new new day and after yesterday it should be easy. What doesn't kill ya just makes you stonger. Check back later for todays stage. Evan

2 comments:

Chris Parker said...

His name is Normann Stadler. And he came back the next year and won.

53X11 Coffee said...

Ah, Norman Stadler is the guy I was thinking of. Thanks, Evan