April 8, 2007

The Schultz Dynasty

So who are these Schultz brothers anyway? We are a couple of mountain bikers hailing from Missoula, MT racing on the professional cross-country mountain bike circuit. I'm the older (23), wiser version of Sam, while Sam (21) is the skinnier, faster version of me. I was the 2005 U23 National Champion and Sam will ride in the stars and stripes this year as the current U23 National Champ. Sam currently rides for one of the premier mountain bike teams in the country, the Subaru Gary Fisher team and resides at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO. I am currently living in Tucson, AZ and riding on the Bear Naked/Cannondale Mountain Bike Team. But as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I can't believe that Owen and Evan asked ME to contribute to their blog. Here is Sam's best side. What is he doing anyway?

By now you may be wondering what our connection is with 53x11 Coffee? When Sam and I first started to race mountain bikes as juniors, Evan was one of the hot-shot mountain bikers in Montana. He was a hero and mentor to both Sam and I. In high school, Sam and I met Owen, who is the same age as us, and trained with him on the road bike. Now, I'm living with Evan and Owen in Tucson.

As for life advice, I try to heed the words of Dwight Schrute from the Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company, "Whenever I'm about to do something, I think 'would an idiot do that?' and if they would, I do not do that thing."

While our focus is on the mountain bike, and we don't quite have the big 53x11 gear ratio that a road bike does, we still love to pin it just as much as you. While we might not be able to pedal quite as fast, keep in mind that when we pin it we are doing it over rocks and roots and through trees. We hope that you will occasionally pour yourself a cup of the Big Ring and join us as we share our experiences from the coast of California, to Patagonia Mountains in South America to the cobbles of Belgium, and beyond.

1 comment:

Rob Chance said...

That is a profound statement from Dwight Schrute. Nice photo of yourself too. I suppose you were thinking if it would be prudent to place a headshot picture of yourself on the blog. I think that is exactly what Schrute would have done.