June 25, 2007

Living the Dream

Outside of Moab, Crested Butte is one of the most mentioned places when it comes to epic singletrack and it's where I found myself last weekend. I made the four hour drive on Friday afternoon to race in the Mountain States Cup Series race at Mt. Crested Butte on Saturday. On the drive down I contemplated why I race, and why I train so much. I came to the conclusion that one of the reasons is simply so that I can ride more singletrack in a given amount of time then anyone else. I did my best to uphold this principle while in CB. I was able to hit up some amazing singletrack with some friends on Saturday evening after the race.


And on Sunday, I rode two of the most epic rides in Crested Butte, The 401 and Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's.


It's pretty nice to be able to travel to a place like CB, race, make enough money to more then cover the cost of the trip, and then rip some of the most amazing singletrack ever. Here's to the MSC Series for helping keep the dream alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy, you are living the dream. I'm swapping my road bike for a mtb. I miss the hills without the traffic.

Anonymous said...

Andy - good looking out. helluva race against strong competition. good job. you're on some serious form.

all hell's broken loose with my post at Drunkcyclist. most people are in some form of agreement - mtb racing makes you think "what am i doing" but people just keep doing it for the reasons you listed. the post has your Velonews car-sleeping thing cited.

keep it up, man! and get down here and ride some flag trails on an off weekend.

-ben