March 6, 2010

Single For A Day




I have been in a relationship for almost 3 years now with a very loving and supportive woman. But today I just had the need to be single. The 10 mile Icebreaker TT was held near Flaming Geyser Park just outside Black Diamond, WA, just north of Mt. Rainier. I do not have a timetrial bike and am not fast, so I decided to ride my single speed Specialized Cross bike. It is currently set up as a 44x17, which is set up nicely for flat rides around town. The longest ride I have done on it has been 3 miles. I bought it last yearr on Ebay and have never raced it (though I am tempted to do so in the 2010 World Sing Speed Cross in Seattle). It has been signed by Tim Johnson.
The drive to the race was spectacular, a mix of heavy fog and clear blue skies with a vertical 1/2 moon low on the southern horizon. The race start was still in heavy fog and chilly temps when I set up my trainer next to a field full of horses. Soon however the sun broke through and the fog disappeared and the temps became almost mild.
I got to see some old familiar faces from the peloton during my warmup, and again felt like I was being welcomed back into the arms of one inrcedible family. Cyclists just rock!!!!!!
I went off about a 1/3 of the way down the start list, and rolled up just as my name was being called to get in line. Before I had too much time to reconsider my decision to go single I was off.
I immediately got up to top speed and settled in. The course was incredible-generally flat (though slightly downhill for the first 1/2), with some nice curves that went through beautiful farm and ranch country. I person caught me and I caught one rider just before the turnaround. I held my effort for the return and even negative slitted by a few secs, clocking 27:15 for my time, coming in around 80th out of 111 starters in the 4/5s. I believe I was the only single speed out there.
There was one negative, a rude truck driver on the way back who honked and gave me the bird for no reason. There was a wide shoulder which I was in. It did not take away from my overall happiness and satisfaction with the race or trip. It was just one incredible day and a good 2nd race of the season.
I have a full season planned and will write a lot more in the months to come.
I wish all my teammates well.
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: