March 24, 2010

The Wait Is Over


I had been waiting for last night since the end of August, 2009. Last night marked the beginning of the Tuesday night series at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA, a weekly race series on a closed car/motorcycle course that offers 5 courses, ranging from 2 to 2.5 miles in length. Races are offered for 3 cats-1/2/3s, Masters and 4/5s. Although I have raced for years and often race in Masters cats for sanctioned races, I ride the 4/5s in the unsanctioned Tuesday series. I think I will move to Masters in 2011.
Last night was the flat course, a very friendly oval with gentle turns on a flat 2 mile route. The weather was awesome-cool with partly cloudy conditions. Mt. Rainier is often viewable about 30 miles to the southeast. There was a very large turnout, about 60 in the 4/5s, 60 in the masters and 40 in the 1/2/3s.
The 4/5s started last and rode for 40 minutes, or about 17 miles. We rode hard from the get go with very few slow sections. I rode primarily at the back, catching up with old friends. The biking community is very close and is just awesome. Where else will you see a Cat 1/2 racer riding with his 2 year old before the start? Where else will you hear 4/5s yell for their teammates that are in a 1/2/3 break who pass the 4/5s? We ae at different levels and abilities but the desires and dreams are the same-to ride well.
I did attack at the start of the 3rd lap (a prime lap as well). I went from the very back to the front and got off a few yards, taking one other rider with me. After a few pedal turns I pulled off and looked back. The one rider pulled through and I jumped on his wheel but I knew the pack was letting us dangle. I told my partner that we were about to get caught and we had a good laugh-"you gotta try" he said as we rode through the first turn at the head of the flying pack. Once through the turn I pulled off and let all 59 riders ride through. It took everything to catch the last wheel and I never recovered-so much for my off season training!
I was at the back with one lap to go when a crash occured just ahead of me-no other sound like that of bodies and bikes hitting the pavement. I hate it. I somehow avoided the falling bikes and bodies and did not hit the guy in front of me (a good buddy too) as he maneuvered around the carnage. Three of us ended up way off the back and tried to get back on but could not, so we 3 rode in together side by side. It was good to finish with 2 buddies, knowing we were fortunate not to go down (one buddy broke his collarbone a few years ago on the same course and made it on youtube).
All in all a very good start to the 2010 Pacific Series. I think I wore the team colors with honor. Starbucks changed their kit up some and I do not like it. So glad the alter-ego has remained!!!!!
More to come in the following weeks. I do have my first USCF sanctioned road race this Saturday in Rochester, WA.
All thbe best to Evan and my teammates. Keep the rubber side down!!!!
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: