March 27, 2010

My Impersonation of a Peanut

As in shelled.I raced the Masters 30+ 4/5s this morning at 9 am in Rochester, WA, a 2 lap 41 mile affair that included 2 climbs (one not so short but steep and one short but not so steep), and several miles of rolling terrain in beautiful farm country.
I don't know about other states, but Masters racing is HUGE in Washington, and recently they changed cats so 4/5s would not race with much older but better cat riders. Up to this year the 4/5s Masters over 30 raced with 50+ all cats. I understand the need and want for safety (I myself don't feel all that comfortable with newbies) but Cat 4 racers do have experience, if not the talent or desire to move up. I am a weekend racer only, and wanna stay upright and be a factor. But if I have the chance to race with much better Masters (like the 2007 Elkhorn Classic or the Blackberry Crit in Bremerton, WA) I will take it. Nothing like toeing the line and trying to chase down the likes of Kenny Williams.
Soapbox aside, I did this race in 2006 in similar conditions-mostly clear and cool with a slight wind (aka very nice!). Like 2006 I got dropped on the first climb that came at the end of neutral, and like 2006 I connected with 5 or 6 others. Our group worked very well together picking up stragglers, a lil like 2006. Unlike 2006, however, I knew what was coming so dropped everyone on the 2nd climb and waited for them to catch me at the bottom (unlike 2006 where I let everyone leave me on the descent and never reconnected for the 2nd and final lap).
Our group of 6 had an incredible paceline going through the finish at the end of the 1st lap. We did split again on the 3rd climb and I was leading everyone, but for some reason did not push the advantage so they could catch me on the descent. End result? A group of 3 left me and I could never reconnect. So, just like 2006 I rode most of the 2nd lap on my own in tt mode. I could see the 3 guys just up the road and I almost bridged but could not and gave up the ghost. I did see one guy looking back for me, and after the race he said he asked the others to wait as I was such a strong rider and good contributor (I have to represent 53x11 coffee!). And just like 2006 the women almost caught me at the line, but I did push it the final K and beat them by a good margin.
I heard after that bad crash occurred at the finish of our group as a pack raced for 2nd. I did not see any carnage but did see a Medic driving to the finish. Never good to hear or see.
Bikers and bike racers are such an incredible family. I have said it before and I will say it again. My number was falling off just before the start and a woman waiting to start her race pinned me straight. I had good conversations with many of my co-conspirators after the race, and my car neighbor left his shorts at home so scrambled to find a pair before his race-which he did. We may race and compete against each other but we are always there for one another too.
So cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS-I am 11th in the Velofight.com series so I hope I do well todat at Gent - Wevelgem .
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: