April 2, 2010

Spring peepers

I love the sound of frogs in the early spring, Spring Peepers. This is what Katie calls them. As natural as the lengthening days, the wind blows. I keep telling myself that these rides directly into the strongest gusts will make me stronger. I suppose for those of us who live in flatter areas, this is the closest we get to long sustained climbs – minus the ability to stand, doing so turns your entire body into a sail. Today was my first day in shorts since early November as I was proud to be sporting the 53x11 kit. As I spent a lot of time this winter in the basement on the soul drainer, I was glad to be on the roads although once again it appears that they were carpet bombed while I was inside. Sitting on a static bike with uniform resistance is no substitute for the real thing but it allowed me to hang strong against a tough spring companion.

No comments: