May 13, 2010

46 days ...

...to Ironman Couer d'Alene ID. I always pretend to keep my cool when Katie reminds me how few day remain and woefully unprepared we are. While it is true that there are not many days until the race, we are not unprepared. I calmly remind her that we will not come in on race day with our usual depth of fitness, but with just enough, which is is all we need. I suppose that is my way of saying "We Are Forked" or something to that effect.

This weekend looks like it might be the first this year without either howling winds or temps in the low 40s. We have our first 100 miler brewing this Saturday sandwiched between 2 one hour runs on Friday and Sunday. Brew and sandwich....mmmmmmm we are always hungry. Yes, mates, triathletes are not only poor bike handlers, but boring too. Don't we all just love it when one of my brethren or sisteren show up in a skin suit for a group ride, commencing to get onto their aerobars in the middle of the pace line. A pox upon your house, numb nuts. For the record, no aerobars on my road bike, lil' scraps, and I never ever get into aero when in a group, primarily because I ride with fellow triathletes and don't trust them. You don't get to be a 55 year old cyclist without being ornery, mistrusting and very aware.

No comments: