May 8, 2010

Half N Half

I didn't know how to title this post. Several names came to mind during the Masters 35+ 4/5 race this morning in Ravensdale, WA-"The yo-yo string finally broke; Dangling; See How the Other Half Rides," but I opted for Half N Half.
My race was in the early grouping (Womens Pro 1/2/3, Men's 5, us, then Women's 4). The scheduling was reversed from last year and we raced one less lap. A bit disappointing but in the end I was quite happy to just do 4 laps. The course started relatively flat, then had a good short hill, more rolling that followed a clockwise loop and was about 9 miles. It had 2 good right hand turns.
We started at around 8:40 in gorgeous conditions-clear, calm, and a bit chilly. May started with a wet and windy and cold start for Washington, including some snow. Yesterday was a change for the better, and it is Bike Month here so I rode home from work on my single speed. I threw in a partial leg around Mercer Island to scope out a TT course that will be raced in June as part of the Masters Games. I plan on riding the single speed in that race which is very rolling and curvy. No real flat sections with one good climb.
Anyway, maybe that hurt my legs some but I knew the race today would be tough as I didn't feel like I had race legs. Not really flat, just "not there." We also had a large field. The max was 75 but it turns out we had 83 entrants. I was at the back of the group trying to find my legs when a crash occurred in front of me around the 3rd mile. I did not go down but got caught behind it and had to work like a dog by myself to get back on. I never recovered. I did hang on for the first 2 laps, even battling the follow race vehicle a couple of times when I fell off. Every time the car passed me I found another gear and fought tooth and nail to the back of the peloton. After 3 or 4 of these episodes, just into the 3rd lap, I gave up the ghost, dropped back and waived the follow car by. I had a quick laugh with the official about my efforts. I resigned myself to 2 solo and lonely and tired laps when what did I see ahead? A large group of riders riding very slow. There were lots of recreational riders out and they were way to the right so I thought this was a large group of them. But as I approached through following traffic I saw another race vehicle. I flew by it and saw they were women. Turns out they were the Pro 1/2/3s who started about 6 mins ahead of us. Due to the Center Line Rule and my legs I opted to ride with them. Quite nice as they were not so erratic with pace as us. I lost contact before the only hill (rather short) before the start/finish so resigned myself to one lap solo. I was dangling just behind the women and could not bridge, but did not lose much. But then they suddenly slowed in the same place I got them a lap before so I was able to get back on. I rode the last lap with them, once again dropping off on the hill and finishing by myself.
I was 68th out of 69. We had 13 DNFs.
We had the largest field by far. Since they separate 4 and 5s into separate races I wish they would do that with the Masters. The Masters 1/2/3 have their own race and usually only field about 20 max (today like 13 riders). Does not make sense.
But I did the race.
I even got out for a quick easy ride tonight on my single speed.
Side Note-I am reading the new book by Joe Parkin, called "Come & Gone,: the sequel to "A Dog In a Hat." It is very good.
All the best to my teammates,
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: