May 26, 2010

"You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone"

Before yesterday, it had been over 2 months since I have ridden my bike in earnest. Winter training was going well until about late March, when my knee issue from 2009 flared back up again. The knee pain had been previously diagnosed as tendonitis and after 3 doctors, 2 Physical Therapists, 2 MRIs, xrays, ultrasounds, and host of other supplements, braces, and bike fit changes, I believe it may be identified and, at least for the time being, behind me.

Dr. Lynch from the West Bend Clinic, was able to identify an issue with the plica tissue behind the quad tendon, which was inflamed, and to make a long story short - causing the pain, which was thought to be tendonitis. I am so thankful for her expertise and assistance.

To fill my time for the last 2 months, I took up running and not just running, but barefoot running via the Vibram Five Fingers KSOs. This has been a great experience, which came to be after reading the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal. This was an interesting process and has allowed me to expand my bucket list to include a Boston Qualifying barefoot marathon at some point before I am unable, and kept me in moderate shape. The barefoot running, especially trail running, was great until I encountered one of the major benefits of shoes: protection. The picture included was a thorn, which impaled my foot, behind the big toe last week. This was a minor hurdle and has not changed my belief in barefoot running. Running, in general, certainly forces you to maintain Anaerobic Threshold for long periods of time and, to this day, I am still convinced running helps biking fitness significantly more than biking helps running.

All that being said, Doctor's orders yesterday were to ride hard! The idea being to test the latest treatment, in an attempt to prove/disprove the latest diagnosis........ All indications are good at this point and for those of you that obsess over things like I do will appreciate the significant weight that seems to be lifter off my shoulders and the amount of freedom I know feel again. It is obviously too early to say all is good, and I am trying to temper my enthusiasm until I get further into the training, although, in the moment, this is the best news, related to cycling, I have had in 10 months.

Now time to make due on some promises and represent 53x11 to the extent possible and quit driving those in my life crazy with my knee rehab obsession! Here's to riding!!!
Joe Riesberg

No comments: