August 9, 2010

AT LEAST IT WAS FREE

I live just about 3 miles from Cougar Mountain, which has an incredibly steep 2 mile climb. I used to ride it several times a year, almost on a weekly basis. But I have only gone up a few times in the last two years. They have a free tt up it in August, and this year's was held last Sat. I was the first to sign up months ago and was set to be the 4th starter. I had qualms since I knew I was not ready to race it. The weather had recently turned cloudy and cooler and I new conditions would be ripe for fast times. I awoke Sat morning with trepidation and wimped out, opting to linger in bed and snuggle. Our one year old cat had had stomach and vomit issues for the last week that escalated Friday night. We eneded up taking her to a local vet for emergency surgery to have hair ties removed from her stomach and intestines.
My gf awoke at 4:30 and surfed the internet for a vet. She picked a local one very close to Cougar Mountain as he is a cyclist. He seems like a really good doctor. The surgery went well and the cat went home with the doc for recovery. The cat's name is Ridley, named after the bike, and the vet has a Ridley cross bike. Good karma I think.
The surgery cost over $2000. I would gladly sell all if needed, but not at that this time, though it is time to unload a few items. Anyone interested in a 1972 Condor frame (Reynolds 531), 57 cm c-c top tube and 56 c-c seat tube? I am the second owner and bought it in 1982. It has not been ridden in years. Comes with a campy headset and bottom braket. beautiful chartreuse green with red highlights on the lugs, red bands for the decals on the seat and down tubes and a gorgeous head badge. It was restored in 1985 by Cyclart in San Diego. Or I have a titanium road bike (55 cm-c-c top and seat tubes, standard geometry) with Campy Record and Chorus 10 speed. It has little miles, never ridden hard or wet or crashed. It has no decals or markings so I don't know the manufacturer.
Anyway, at least the tt was free so I don't feel so bad wimping out. Plus, after dropping the cat off I met a cyclist who had raced. He said the record was smashed. Maybe next year........

No comments: