August 11, 2010

SUB 3

I ran for 23 years and completed 52 marathons. The marathon was my favorite distance, one that really tested me without REALLY testing me like an ultra. My goal was to run under 3 hours, a magic number for runners, much like a sub 5 minute mile or 40 minuted 10K. I never beat 5 mins for the mile (5:14) but did go under 40 for the 10k on several occasions. The closest I ever got in the marathon was 3:01:22. I was in great form as I ran a marathon for fun 2 months later and ran a 3:09. I never ran that fast again.
Yesterday I accomplished a great deal in just under 3 hours. I drove to and from the Pacific Raceways (45 miles or so roundtrip) for the Up the Escape Route race, stopped at the local brewery for my free Aloha beer and grabbed dinner to go, and loaded my bike and gear for the commute home today.
I had planned on racing yesterday but then my cat had surgery on Sat. She needs pain meds and my gf and I administer it as it takes two. I got home at 5:30 and had my bike and gear loaded and ready. However, my gf did not get home til 6:15 and the race was at 7. I thought I might not go but we were done with the meds by 6:30 so I thought "what the heck." I was confident I would be late, but these races are so casual it would be acceptable for me to jump in a lap or two down, so long as I did not contest primes or the final sprint. Plus I only have 3 races left for the year as I cannot do Crystal Mountain, have opted not to do Mt. Baker and the Blackberry Crit has been canceled:(
Traffic was very good and I flew down to the race. I work for a court and deal with numerous traffic issues on a daily basis so am a very careful driver, but I did speed some (at least in my mind I did). I got to the race with less than 10 mins to spare. I got the bike ready and then had to dress and pin my number. If you saw the last stage of this year's TDF you will know what I mean when I say Radio Shack had nothing on me. I placed 6 safety pins in no time:) I then had to pay and sign in so ran over to the trailer with my bike. I heard Rory call the first two races to the line as I fumbled with my gloves. Good thing the 4/5s go last. I rolled up and said a quick hi to 2 friends just as we rolled out.
I had no warmup whatsoever. I have never raced without a warm up so it was a new experience. Fortunately the first lap wasn't insane. I did okay for the first 3 until we had a prime lap. The field was blown apart at the top of the climb but I managed, barely to get back on the much smaller group. I never recovered. I had wolfed down some new Gatorade product about 15 minutes before, while "speeding" down Highway 18, and it was affecting me. I finally let the pack go about halfway thru the race, and road 2 laps solo. The organizers' 10 year old daughter cheered me on up the climb. Her remarks took me back to my marathoning days:)
I finally got caught by the 1/2/3s and rode the last 2 laps with them. There were 2 other 4/5s hanging on the back so I felt okay catching a ride.
Overall I was quite happy with my sub 3 effort. Still hard to believe I raced last night though:)

No comments: