April 23, 2011

I'm Offically "unofficial"

Today was the Green Valley 12 mile TT put on Budu Racing, the folks who put on the Pacific series (Rory and Deanna Mueller). It is a spectacular flat and curvy course held in luscious farmland and horse ranches along the Green River. The weather finally turned for the specatcular as it was clear (not a cloud to be seen-a first in MONTHS), sunny and mild for the race. My trainer warm up was done next to a llama farm and in view of the setting half moon that was visible until 9:30, 38 mins before my start. I had to bundle up as it was a bit chilly, but by my start it felt almost like summer and I stripped down to just the basics. One incident that occurred was a driver in a large truck that not only did not slow down in our staging area (vehicles and trainers lined end to end along Green Vally Road), but he actually sped up and gunned his engine, narrowly missing several people and riders. Rednecks are named that for a reason, but I was not going to let this incident take away from my enjoyment as I truly was lost in the moment (racing, friends, beautiful weather-enough to make me forget my financial issues).

I was once again riding my single speed, and was yet again the only single racing. I opted for the Masters 35+ cat rather than the Mens 4. I have a rep now as a single speed timetrialist, and it is a rep I quite enjoy.

I always take an emergency kit on my single speed tts (a baggie filled with tire irons, a sparetube and a wrench for my rear wheel). I also take a small pump. These all fit nicely in a jersey pocket.

The start was "one foot down"(we were not held). We started at 30 second intervals and I was near the back of my category, and near the end for the whole race. I waited for the count down, took off, clipped in, and was soon in my groove and in my element. I was riding in the nice narrow bike lane rather than the main road, trying to be a considerate rider. But that was a mistake as there was not much traffic and a lot of debris in the lane. I flatted 2 miles in and soon heard the hiss of my front wheel. I did not panic but soon had the replacement tube in. Unfortunately I had forgotten a pump! I threw in the towel and walked back, getting nice condolences from spectators and other racers. One thing that was quite disappointing was that there were also many many recreational riders out, riding on the same road as it was a gorgeous day with gorgeous scenery. Only one of the dozen or so asked if I needed assistance, and he did not have pump. A farmer asked if I wanted to use his air compressor but I politely declined. I just could not believe that no social rider stopped to ask or help. I saw many a pump go by without even a glance my way.

I got back, talked to Dean (my friend and the race mechanic), as well as Rory (my friend and race organizer). I said I was going to fix the flat and then race the course on my own. They said they trusted me and that my time would count.

I loaded up my truck, fixed my flat, took a pump and then did the race again on my own. All officials were gone. I found the start line, put my foot on the ground, started my watch and took off. I felt as strong as before. Soon I was passed the spot of my prior flat. I got to the turnaround (marked by an "x" in the road and was headed back. I did have to slow twice due to two farm machinery (small combines). It was frustrating as I had to wait to pass behind several vehicles. I knew where the finish was (road sign and line in the road) and I sprinted hard. My watch time was 31:20. I gave it to Rory and was soon driving home, pleased that I beat 2 guys in the 35+. However, during a late afternoon easy ride to keep my legs loose, Rory called to say the officials would not count my time. I called him back and said it was not a big deal. I knew what I rode. My time is accurate and would have been very close to the official time without a flat.

I am so happy I finished it. I can't afford to pay for races now and not finish:)

No comments: