April 14, 2011

SHOWROOM

I am trying to sell a friend's 48 cm 2006 Carbon Cervelo Soloist w/Dura Ace components. It is a very beautiful bike with low miles, never crashed or ridden wet or very hard. She bought it brand new and is the only owner. The components, paint and decals are near perfect ("near showroom condition). But it is not new. A young woman came to see it with her boyfriend last night. They spent about an hour looking it over. They both were obvious newbies to riding. He has one bike, an aluminum Cervelo, and she has something else, also aluminum. They are budding triathletes. He meticulously checked the bike out, using a flashlight to examine every inch for damage and cracks. He kept talking about "showroom" condition." My friend is asking $2200 but will take $2000. I have searched Craigslist for Washington and Oregon and found two others, same size and comparably priced. They came with $1900 but he kept saying how maybe they ought to sleep on it. I could see he was calling the shots and trying to be "the man." It was a tad embarrassing but I let my friend do all the talking as it is her bike. The young woman is a grad student and does not have a lot of money, and this bike would be a HUGE upgrade. If they want pristine, spotless, showroom condition she will have to wait a few years until she can afford $5000-$10000. Just makes me wonder.

No comments: