August 25, 2009

JUST CALL ME "TINY"

I wasn't sure whether to call this entry the above or "What am I now going to do on Tuesday Nights?" I like the one I chose better, and I hope you agree. But if you don't that's just fine by me. We are all individuals and differing opinions are what make us human.
I have an older steel (Reynolds 531c) bike equipped with Campy Record 9 speed I bought a few years back on ebay. It was built by Gazelle for an amateur Danish squad called De Zwalew. I know nothing of the team and have not found much on the internet. The bike has a frame number hanger on the top tube and I have made a number of my father's motorcycle racing days. He raced motorcross and desert events when I was a youngster. The bike also has a rider's name on the top tube (Tiny De Van). I picture Tiny as not so tiny, but some brute of a Danish monster. One who could pull for hours on end through the flat windy countryside. The bike weighs about 22 pounds and I use it as my trainer bike and horrific weather ride bike during the winter. Just imagining what it has gone through helps me muscle through the wet and nasty days.
Tonight was the last Tuesday night event at Pacific for 2009 and I decided to end it as Tiny. I had not ridden the bike on the road in some months and wanted to have fun. Plus I am suffering a slight cold so I figured any handicap couldn't hurt. We raced the flast for just 40 minutes as we had cake and awards afterwards. A good showing as the weather was rather nice after a wet morning. About 30 in the 4/5 race. It was mostly sunny with mild temps. My legs were heavy after a 2 hour hike/run on Sunday, plus my lungs were suffering some and I was dealing with the cold. There was no way I was missing the last race, especially as we had team swag to give out. I had to REPRESENT!
I knew I couldn't do a whole lot in the race so I decided to go at the start and attacked near the end of the first lap. They would not let me go and I pulled the whole train across the line to end the first lap. Felt good but I was hurting. I yo yod for most of the race, attacking two more times but getting no where. My bars were also loose for some reason and every time I hit a slight hole they dropped a fraction. Scary feeling. I did not feel all that confident attacking like that so I hung back for the last lap finishing almost last. No biggie considering. It was a very fond farewell to my competitors and the course for a year. The carke was delicious and I also got a pair of Bike Hugger socks for racing in more than 10 races. They had 21 total this year and I did 14. The 53x11coffee bottles went fast as did the espresso. Thanks Evan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enough for now-it is 10:30pm, the adrenaline is fading, the pizza is getting cold and beer warm, and my radio station (KBCS-91.3fm) is playing very cool folk music. Plus my cats demand some attention.
Night teammates. Stay safe and keep the rubber side down.
Ty (aka Saddldancer or Tiny)

No comments: