August 5, 2009

A Ride with the "Good" Guys

And by "good" I mean the 1/2/3s. I raced at the weekly Tuesday night series at Pacific last night and started with the 4/5s. We were to race the "Down Escape Route" (2+ mile counter-clockwise route with a steep short down hill ramp, followed by several uphill rollers and then a false flat) for 55 minutes. We started first, followed by the Masters then the 1/2/3s. I like to pick my own line down the 200 meter or so escape route as it has several ruts and potholes, so I fade off the back and then work my way up over the uphill rollers. This worked for the first 3 laps. I even did my ususal break, this time at the start of the 2nd lap, but sat up as no one went with me and I knew I would get caught. Unfortunately I let the pack to much in front down the escape route and I could not gap during the uphill rollers. This was on the 4th lap almost 1/2 way into the race. I had resigned myself to a tt for the remainder of the race, about 30 minutes, when I saw I was going to be caught by the 1/2/3s. I have never ridden with them and this was my chance. I let the small group catch me (should I say "let"?) and rode at the back for 1.5 laps. They ride so different from the 4/5s and Masters. They ride sooooooo smooth and silent, like a sleeping beast. I then "had" (should I say "had"?) to let the 1/2/3s go as they put the hurt on down the escape route on a prime lap. I then rode alone for 1/2 a lap til the Masters caught me. There was a break of 3 but I let them go and then rode at the back of the chasing group. They were much more "active" like the 4/5s (by "active" I mean yo-yoing and volatile). I then finished the race at the back of the Masters.
I was relatively happy with my performance as my mental state was down. We lost a 19 year old Siamese cat to the recent heat wave, and had to have him put down on Sunday night. I had only known him 2 years, and had not owned a cat til 2 years ago, but we had bonded instantly. It was a real loss. I did ride with an angel pin given to us after the procedure but my heart and mind were not all there. I almost did not go to the race, bu we only have a few left and I do so love racing, so I opted to try. Riding with the 1/2/3s did help a lot.
Evan also sent me some "swag" to share which I did. The organizer took some espresso home to try and is waiting til the last race to distriubte the rest of the goodies. Really a good thing Evan. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a side note-As riders we have all had encounters with inconsiderate, irate, and just plain thoughtless drivers. Under Washington law a bicycle is a "vehicle" and is subject to the rules of the road. Unless specifically prohibited and unless a bike lane is provided, bicycles are to ride in as far right a position as is safe in a lane. If necessary aq bike can take a posiiton in a lane like a motor vehicle, and this I have done many times wen my speed equaled or was greater than the motor vehicles around me.
Anyway,I have had numerous encounters since I started riding in 1980, in California, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Illinois and now in Washington state, with drivers who are just ignorant of the law or are to dumb to know better. Fortunately I have never gone down as a result of these encounters, though one time in college in Illinois I was truck by something as a car passed me.
Today I was on my recently purchased Giant TCX Cross bike equippped with Campy Record 10 (she is strictly a fun and commuter ride as I don't race cross) that also has a Bike Buddha on the seat post for good karma (purchased from Borders), when a driver called me an explitive for no reason other than I was in a lane of traffic. This particular stretch of road has no bike lane or shoulder (only a bad sidelwalk) , and has 4 lanes (2 each way) with a 40 mph limit. I can usually ride this 1.5 mile stretch at 25+ mph and usually don't have issues with drivers but tonight was different as I was riding in rush hour traffic.
I did respond with a vulgar yell and finger gesture (I was not riding in team kit but was wearing a "Bike Hugger" jersey) and so wanted to catch the vehicle at the next light to instruct them on the RCW and rules of the road. But alas they made the lights and were long gone.
Anyway, I just wanted to take a stand on my soapbox and say that despite all the "alledged" advancements and achievements mankind has made, we are as stupid and ignorant as we were when the bicycle first was invented. I hope someday there is a species worrhy of the bicycle;s respect.
Be safe and keep the rubber side down.
Ty (aka saddledancer)

No comments: