August 24, 2009

Training Does Pay Off


Now if I only did train properly! I can make a lot of excuses-unemployed for 6 months this year, challenging weather, loss of a dearly loved pet. But what it comes down to is my laziness. Sure I ride every day, but they are more like marshmellow milles-all fluff and no substance. They help my soul but they don't help my results. I have not put the time nor the quality in I truly need to improve. I can fake the Tuesday night races, but I have not done a real road race for months.
I did do the Crystal Mtn Washington State Hillclimb Championships last Saturday, and my lack of quality training showed BIG TIME. My legs felt good and the weather was very nice. I didn't think I could PR but I did think I could beat last year's time when it was very hot and windy. I started 2nd in the Masters C group and kept my 30 sec guy in sight the whole time. I was slightly faster on the steeper sections but could not gain on him. I did get caught by the 3 who started behind me though and that was a real shock as I have only been caught once before out there. My time was almost a minute slower than my previous slowest (2004). I did enjoy the ride though as it is a gorgeous setting just a few miles from Mt. Rainier. I also saw some guys I had not seen in a long time. MY lungs are still burning some.
Tomorrow night is the last Pacific of the year and they will have awards. They are giving out 53x11 Coffee swag which I am very excited about. So cool to be associated with two great operations, 53x11 Coffee and BUDU Racing. I also get to give a little back by volunteering at next Saturday's Lake Sammamish Triathlon here in town, also put on by BUDU Racing. I get to pace the runners on my single speed cross bike.
Enough for now. Time to go and train. Sort of:)
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

1 comment:

Saddledancer said...

I don't think there is any age restriction. You just need to submit a letter to Evan at 53x11 coffee detailing why you ride.
All the best.