August 22, 2009

new to team

It's been almost 3 full days since I was added to the 53X11 team and so far I can safely say I haven't crashed. That seems to be one of my biggest goals right now as I dip my toe back into racing waters. I'd like to say I should hurry up and get this over with - the crashing thing - usually it never hurts as much as you remember - though when has it ever felt comfortable? About 18 years ago - a blink of the eye when you get to my age - I was involved in a fairly horrific crash where in a points race on the road I ran into the back of a lady on a mountain bike who wondered onto the course. I was in full flight trying to win that lap's sprint and saw an opening to the right - right where I wanted to be - and once I got to that opening I saw why it was there... I had just enough time to close my eyes when I slammed into this rider doing a full 44 mph. I remember flying through the air in a superman pose - it took minutes in my mind to finally land, roll just like I was taught to do and come up in time to see the dozen or so guys who were on my wheel crashing head first into the fast rising pileup I caused. Injuries - well, I felt fine but the lady I hit had a broken cheek and jaw and needed to go to the hospital. I was encouraged to do the same since my right arm didn't move all too well, even though it hurt less than the road rash I was now sporting. Diagnosis - every ligament that held my shoulder together was torn like spaghetti (my surgeon's description). Post surgery - morphine barely cut into the pain I felt and the six weeks off of work was not helpful in the development of my career.

Now that I've written this perhaps I've cast out a few devils or evil spirits that might await me as I try to time a ride today in between bouts of rain. Two decades later wet roads still kind of spook me, as does riding with new riders not yet used to pacelines but they have enormous potential and take turns slugging it out at 28 mph on narrow roads in high traffic areas - and they look at you with blank looks on their faces when you remind them for the upteenth time to never, ever overlap a rider's wheel. Well, I think I've procrastinated enough and it's time to get out before it gets dark. Like a small child that spooks me even more. That said, here I go and thanks to Evan and all at 53X11 for allowing me to wear your colors as I go about exercising my demons. Good luck to all my teammates and I wish you many, many miles staying upright on your bikes. Take care -
Mike

No comments: