June 23, 2010

Just Once This Year

One of the routes on the Tuesday night series at Pacific Raceways in Kent is "Up the S," a nice 2.5 mile or so loop with a good flat section, a gorgeous downhill section followed with a short and oh so sweet climb. The climb makes it the least popular route (but my favorite), and due to its unpopularity is only raced once a season.
The weather finally cooperated last night-partly cloudy with mild/slightly muggy conditions. I was so excited to race the route and couldn't wait to get out there. Due to a woman's race I could only pre-ride the course once and realized I really wasn't ready for the climb.
Only about 30 riders raced the 4/5s . We were to race for about an hour, or 12 laps or so. We stayed together for the first 5 laps and then things began to break apart. My legs felt okay on the climb and I had no problems on the flats and descent, but I started having some sort of throat issue on the 5th lap, couldn't swallow and felt like something was caught. By the time I got that resolved I was off the back on the descent leading to the climb. I never got back and ended up struggling with another rider for most of the remainder. I did get to ride a lap with the 1/2/3s and then a few laps later with the Masters. I glot blown away on the climb by the 1/2/3s but easily hung with the Masters so my legs were okay.
Overall I was a bit disappointed in my performance but was quite happy to finish. The three races were all blown apart some with riders scattered all over the course so I was not alone. Plus I have done six of the required 10 so I am getting there...
I get to ride my single speed cross home from work today (about 20 miles) so can't wait for 4:30 (10 more mins)!
All the best to my teammates
Ty 9aka Saddledancer)

No comments: