June 28, 2010

A Race and a Tow

Yesterday was the Boston Harbor roadrace in Olympia. I raced the Masters C event in the afternoon, which allowed me to flake in the morning. I almost did not go but my girlfriend helped persuade me as it was a nice day. Only 35 or so riders rode the 30 mile rolling course. I liked the small field as the road was very narrow. We rode 5 loops of a 6 mile course that had 2 good short descents and then lots of rollers, with one short climb (but long enough to hurt at effort) just before the finish. I rode at the back as usual and felt stronger each lap til the start of the 4th, when I was almost dropped on the climb. I did get back right before the start/finish and felt fine for the last 2 laps, even moving up and back at will. The finish was fast as we all flew up the hill. By the top, and with 1k to go we had split into several groups. There was a lead group of 7 or so then a few more than me and a couple of others. I joined the 2nd group and was able to sprint strong, finishing around 20th I think.
It was a great race and my girlfriend attended and videotaped the finish.
The drive home was actually in a tow truck as my truck died in the parking lot:( All things considered it was a very nice ride home. The beer and burger sure were tasty:)
I have done 4 sanctioned road races this year, 3 timetrials, and 6 Pacific Raceways series, the most ever for any one year. I have not had any mechanicals or crashes and have finished every race. I am so grateful.
I will be out of town in August so will miss the Crystal Mountain Hillclimb, a first since 2005. Oh well, girlfriends come first, especially one as supportive as M.
All the best to my teammates.
Ty (aka saddledancer)

No comments: