June 13, 2010

Still Single

Today was the inaugural 9.5 Mercer Island TT, actually part of the Washington State Senior Games. The race was open to riders over 40, and due to issues with the island's council the entrants were limited to 80. Fortunately I entered a few months back so had a spot. There were 10 riders in the Men's 45-49 category, and I was the 4th to go in that cat. We started at 1 minute intervals on a good downhill. The course then climbed briefly, then rolled and was generally downhill until a good short climb. The course then serpentined for a cpl of miles before the finish. I had ridden the course 3 times on my single speed and once (yesterday) on a geared bike. The route circled the west, south and east ends of the island on a very smooth and fun road. A mecca for local cyclists. I knew the course well and wanted to race the single speed. So I did.
It was a beautiful day. The weather had been quite wet and cool for May and the start of June, but turned better on Friday afternoon. Yesterday was just gorgeous. Today was not as nice but was very good for the race, at least for me-mostly clear, light wind, and 60 degree temps.
I started strong and rode strong the whole way, seeing very little vehicular traffic. The police were very kind and polite and I waived to, and thanked all the ones I saw directing traffic.
My minute guy never caught me and I never saw another racer. The finish was a bit anti-climactic as I got caught behind 2 cars having to slow due to a weekend rider. I was not able to sprint or finish strong and had to settle for coasting the last 100 meters or so.
In any event I clocked 26:21 for 9.5 miles on an undulating course on my single speed. I took 8th out of 12 for the Mens 45-49. I believe I was the only single speed. I am quite happy and satisfied.
All the best to my teammates and Evan.
Keep the rubber side down,
Ty (aka saddledancer)

No comments: