June 30, 2010

ARMWARMERS IN JUNE?

I read my teammates posts, describing the heat and humidity, and wonder when do I get my chance? It is almost July, summer began a week ago, and yet it is like fall here in the Northwest. I do overheat in warm weather and should feel fortunate with the cooler temps, but I wanna sweat a little....
Last night was my 7th Pacific Raceways of the year. It was another cloudy, blustery and cool evening, causing me to wear an undershirt and armwarmers. We went down the S turn, my least favorite course, but one I need practice on so I raced. It is the opposite of my favorite course. It is a counterclockwise loop that started on the flat, then swung around and down a steep ramp before entering a steep s shaped section with two good turns. It requires technical skill. Once out of the S turn you start a long rolling climb back to the flat. I always hang off the back on the descent. The race started rather slow which was nice but soon picked up.
I hung on for 1/2 the race, then got dropped on the descent. So many riders got dropped from all 3 races, riders were all over the course. I felt happy that I finished as many opted to ride the shorter escape route rather than the S turn, but I did the whole course for the whole hour.
A crash did occur early in the S turn in the Masters race when something happened ahead of us in their break away (3 riders). We did not see it happened but came upon it while flying thru the S. Never good to see but I think the riders were okay. Cars race down it too and the road had extreme tire wear from where they braked.
Anyway, just 3 more needed to qualify for swag!
Come on warm weather!
Happy early 4th to all.
Ty 9aka Saddledancer)

No comments: