July 7, 2010

From Bike Saddle to Bar Stool

So yesterday pretty much marked the beginning of our summer-major jump in temps (80's/90's) and clear skies with BRIGHT SUN. 7 pm rolled around, which should have seen me in the saddle of my trusty steel steed (Gazelle frame with Campy 9 speed), attacking the flat course at Pacific Raceways. I like to ride that heavy old school bike now and then to remind me of my roots. Plus it has a rider's name (Tiny De Vaan) on the top tube as it was built for an amateur Danish squad years ago. Instead my rear was settled in at the local brewery having a beer with my gf. It turns out that the NHRAs are this weekend so Pacific was closed. We were told it would be next week but the organizers were wrong. I was so hyped to race in the warm weather and wanted to asttack attack attack! They did send an email out but as I was on vacation I was watching the TDF rather than checking messages. We drove all the way down just to be turned away:(
I did end up watching the 2008 Giro and riding hard on my trainer later last night.
I decided to ride both ways to work today (40 miles total) on my single speed, and the inbound leg was eventful. Lots of road work I was unaware of that led to a front flat 1/2way to work. No biggie until I discovered all my "new" spare tubes were defective. As no riders stopped for me I ended up calling my gf on her vacation at 7:15 am. She drove out with a spare tool kit full of tubes. I was able to repair the tire and get to work 2 hrs late. I love you M!!!
I do look forward to the ride home tonight and a cold shower and colder beer upon arrival. Just no flats!
All the best to my teammates.
Ty (aka saddledancer)

1 comment:

bobtouch said...

Hey Ty, thanks for the stories. I have been trying to get a handle on riding time... I'll get it.