July 12, 2010

Local Hour Record Falls

Stewart Bowmer, a local Masters rider attempted to break the hour record for the Marymoor Velodrome in Redmond yesterday morning. He also was shooting for the national 40-44 record. I decided to show support and rode out on my single speed. I had to stop briefly for 2 deer crossing the road. I did not mind in the least. There were about 8 spectators and almost as many officials at the start of his ride. There were also two osprey nesting on the north end of the track. They did not seem too interested. As the minutes passed a few more riders/supporters showed up, including one man wearing a 53x11 cap. I had a nice chat with the man and his wife, both big supporters of 53x11 coffee. They had gone to Maui earlier this year and had a nice encounter with Evan.
The last 10 minutes of the hour flew by as we all cheered Stewart on. He did break the track record (unofficially 43.490 kms) but not the national record. It was a bit of a windy day and the track is outside so he had a handicap. It was very impressive regardless as he rode steady and strong the entire hour. It was also nice catching up with some riders I had not seen in a while and mneeting fans of the team/coffee.
I had a pleasant ride home and saw a bald eagle. All in all not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning.
Ty (aka saddledancer)

No comments: