June 15, 2010

Quotes

I recently was watching a DVD of the 2008 Giro de Italia when I heard Phil Liggett say “Because anybody that goes away on a motor track like this is either an idiot, or really believes he can win.” He was commenting on an early stage that finished on an auto track, one a bit like the Pacific Raceways course I ride most every Tuesday night from March through August as part of the Budu Racing series. And to paraphrase Joe Parkin, "if you attack when planned you have attacked too late."
Tonight was my 5th Pacific Raceways of 2010 and the 13th of the series for 2010. The course was the flats again, but with points per lap starting with the 2nd lap. This meant a fast race. The weather was iffy, and it poured en route to the race. The course itself was dry but big dark clouds were approaching as we started our 55 minute race. Drops fell for the first 2 laps and then the rain held off for the remainder of the race, though the clouds looked very threatenimg. It poured on the drive home so we hit a perfect window for a change.
Anyway, my intent was to stay at the back as I am not a crit racer and use the flats course as a workout. 3 other teams (Starbucks, Old Town Cycle and Cycle U) were well represented, and I thought they would control the race. I had thought of attacking at some point (as I always do on the flats), but wanted to wait until the last third of the race. Before I knew it, I was moving up throught the right side of the field with about 20 mins to go at the start/finish line when I found myself attacking and moving away. My legs had just gone without any thought. I eventually looked back and saw one rider from Old Town Cycle trying to bridge. I had a good gap and decided to ease up to let him join me. We worked together for a few minutes but I did not have the legs to stay away and I could see the field coming back. I let my partner go away and tried to hold the pack off. But to no avail. They caught me then soon caught him. It took everything I had to catch the back of the train as it went by but I held on for a few more laps. I finished near the back but again was quite happy with my efforts. I think I did both Liggett and Parkin well.
Ty (aka Saddledancer)

No comments: