June 6, 2011

1 Gear, 1 Eye, 40K but Not Last!



Yesterday was the Washington State TT Champs, a 40 k mostly flat out and back course with some rollers, held in Tenino, a little northeast of Olympia. It was the same course as 2010 but held two months earlier.

Once again I was the sole entrant on a single speed. The conditions were okay but ideal-a steady breeze and cloudy, warm and even muggy for me.

I had been given a free entry if I volunteered after my race. I was the first rider in the Masters 40-49 4/5s. We went at 30 sec intervals, and there was a 2.5 minute gap between me and the rider who started ahead of me. I started well and soon settled in to a nice pace. The bike felt good and the roads were very well paved with little traffic. There was a pretty good cross/head wind. I was not caught by my 30 sec guy until 5 mins into my race so I felt pretty happy. i was passed by 8 by the turnaround.

On the way back the wind did not let up much and I had a sudden issue with my right eye-extreme sweat that blinded me and was rather uncomfortable. I have dealt with it before but never in a race. I know it slowed me down some but I battled through it, having at times to close both eyes and ride blind for a few seconds.

I was passed by a few more riders but I did catch a one day female racer-I gave her a big thumbs up. i also thanked every volunteer and cheered on every rider I saw, even those that passed me. A couple noticed my one gear and were impressed:)

I sprinted the last 200 meters but already knew I was a bit slower than 2010. I clocked a 1:07:50 compared to 1:06:46 in 2010. I was pleased considering my eye issue and the wind.
I was 11th out of 13 in my category, and 111th overall out of 124 finishers.
soon after leaving the race I discovered my rear tire was completely flat. Whether I had an issue during the race I will never know...

I have a 27 mile tt on 6/19 and a 10 mile tt on 6/26. I will do both on my single.

Hope all is well with my teammates.
Ty

No comments: