June 22, 2011

The Letter "S"

Solstice, Summer, Seattle, Seven minutes, Sixty-Five minutes, Shifting, Separated, Splintered, Semi-satisfied:

Yesterday was the Summer Solstice, and the Seattle area was greeted with Sun and warm temps. What a way to start Summer!

I did my 5th race at Pacific and we were doing my favorite course, up the S turn. I have volunteered so much for the organizers at their other races that I get 8 free races at Pacific, which really helps as money is tight.

Before I left for the race a neighbor who rides came up to me and asked about the company and team. I was wearing an old team t shirt and he said he saw me in the kit all the time. He said he came across the coffee at a bike expo and loved it. It felt good to be able to once again promote the company and the team.

We only do this course once a year as it is not popular. It is about a 2.5 mile circuit that starts on a flat section, curves back and drops down some easy twisty rollers until you hit the short steep S climb that leads back to the start after a long false flat. It is a gorgeous course. And last night Mt. Rainer was quite visible several miles to the southeast.

It was quite warm and a bit muggy with a very light breeze from the west, making for a fast section on the top. I got there early enough to get in some easy warm up laps in. It felt odd Shifting as I have ridden my single speed most of the year. But I felt pretty comfortable going up the climb even though I was not that ready for it.

I was sitting on a short wall with 10 minutes to go when i decided to ride over to a shaded area on a grass strip to get out of the sun. I then discovered my rear tire was going flat. I have no idea what I hit but I was grateful I discovered it then rather than as we rolled out at the start. I jogged back to my truck with the bike, and changed the rear, forcing myself not to panic or look at my watch. the beginning women were doing their own practice race so I knew I would hear the call to the line. I did my fastest change ever and jogged back to the start. The who trip and change took seven minutes.

We soon were rolling out. We were to race about sixty-five minutes. There were about 40 in the 4/5s. The first two laps went well as I was strong on the climb, moving up to 5th or so each time. The 3rd lap was a prime and I almost got dropped at the top of the climb, but worked my way back on just before the climb the next time around. I was suffering but so into the race and the moment-the colors, the sounds of the shifting and hum of the tires and chatter of the riders, and the shadows we cast on the track. It really was a beautiful thing.

On the next lap I got separated just before the climb. A few women from the Masters race had joined us, and they were riding just off the back and I could not get around them. I could not bridge after the climb so resigned myself to riding solo or in small groups for the rest of the race.

There were 3 races held and riders were blown off each one, riders all over the course. It looked loke there were some crashes too, but none near me. I just saw riders standing off in the grass and shoulders holding their bikes and looking a bit stunned.

At 45 minutes however, they began pulling all dropped riders, including me:(

I was semi-satisfied with my effort, wishing we did this course more often. I have done great on it before and know I can again.

No comments: