June 15, 2011

Just Like Riding a Bike



I had not been out to Pacific Raceways in 2 months, mainly due to the weather but also for various other factors. I decided to go last night after 3 good friends said they would show. They had not raced out there all year and this was going to be only my 4th race at Pacific for 2011. Our weather has been unseasonably cool and wet and yesterday was cloudy, blustery and still quite cool. My mental state wasn't all that good, but knowing I would see some good and old friends helped.





I got to the race early enough to get several good warm up laps in as the race was going to be an hour long. We were racing the flats again with points every lap, making for a fast fast race. There was a good wind blowing from the west, making for a solid headwind on the home stretch section and then an incredible tail wind on the back side/drag strip.





I saw my friends just before the start and had a quick "catch up" session before the 4/5s were called to the line. There were about 40 of us. The first lap was neutral but we still rode hard. i was at the back catching up with some other riders, getting used to riding once again in a pack at speed. The race flew by and I soon found myself having a ball and forgetting about life stuff.





I was focused on holding my line, moving through the pack at high speed, trying to make moves, all of which failed as we were flying. I did play around a lot, moving back and forth through the pack and trying occasional moves on the outside.





It really was a ball and I was having a very good time. One friend took a prime (won a loaf of bread) and then took 3rd in the final sprint, winning $11.





I thought I would have a difficult time, but like many things, racing is much like riding a bike-you never forget:)





Side note-I am going to see the World Naked Bike Ride on saturday, held in conjunction with the Freemont Fair and Solstice Parade. thought of riding in body pain with the team kit, but then thought better:)

No comments: