June 11, 2011

High

I just have to tell someone. Anyone. I did text my girlfriend and 3 friends but only one response so far. So I have to shout it!
I have never used drugs nor will I ever use them. But I do ride, and that can be such a high. Today was perhaps the highest I have been in 31.5 years of riding. I rode my single speed on a 40 mile course that included a 13 mile loop around Mercer Island. I had volunteered in the morning for a local radio station's pledge drive, then started my ride around 1 pm. It was cloudy and very cool. We are having a very cool year, and though I wish we had more sun I am grateful we do not have the heat of the mid-atlantic or east coast. There are about 18 lights on this course and I made 90% of them, including all the major ones that make for long waits. I timed my Mercer Island loop and it was a personal record for the single speed, though I was not riding all out. The island loop not only was fast, it felt fas and so easy. My legs were so fresh and my bike just wanted to FLY. I was passed 2/3rds of the way around the island by a guy in a local team's kit (Audi). They are such a strong team and won last weeks State's TT. He was so strong and we greeted each other as he passed. But I caught him just 2 miles later. A serious ego boost.
I love to ride. Period. But rides like this just make me so grateful I do ride. And make me more than grateful for the bicycle.
Bikes just rock!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: