June 22, 2011

CATS





No, I am not talking about the feline persuasion, though I do have 5 (thank you Michelle:))



I am talking about racing categories (i.e. cats). I do wish bike races followed running as far as cats went. i ran for 23 years and there were age divisions usually broken up into 4 years:30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, etc. Usually up to 70 or so and then it was one big cat. Age was determined by your age on race day, not your age at the end of the year. So unlike cycling.


I am 48, turn 49 on October 31 of this year. In my book I should have another year of racing as a "40 something." But not so. A few weeks back I was at a race and presented my USCF license. The girl said "oh you will be racing as a 50 year old next year." That really shocked me. I know it does not make a difference really, and that I will get to race with all levels in the 50+ cat. But I wanted one more year as a 40 something as this was a semi-flat year for me, and not the way I wanted to leave the Masters C's.


Oh well, life goes on and the pedals keep turning....

No comments: