July 20, 2011

FLAT

Flat not as in a tire, but flat as in no energy.
Last night was my 7th Pacific of the year, my second favorite course-clockwise starting on the flat and finishing at the top of the Escape Ramp, about a 300 meter long steep straight shot that kicks some at the end. I always have had fun on it and once attacked and stayed away for 1.5 laps. But that was 2 years ago.
We were to race one hour and the weather was quite odd-very dark and stormy to the east but mostly clear to the west, meaning we had to climb right into the sun. The temps were almost cool and there was a good wind blowing from the west, meaning a real tail wind on the top flat section.
Before the start I hung out and chatted single speed and fixie gearing with 2 very good local riders. I felt a bit honored to be included so started the race on a high. As we headed out I slowly worked my way to the front on the outside of the pack of 30 or so riders. Soon I was leading the pack as we descended on the back stretch through the very beautiful curvy and shaded sections. It felt weirtd knowing I was pulling the train as I could not hear anything but the head wind. Soon though I was being passed as we climbed the Escape Ramp. I held on near the back and then just rode at the back and middle for the next 20 minutes.
We then had a prime lap and I almost got dropped after the leaders went all out at the top of the climb. However, I was able to jump onto the back end of 2 guys chasing back and then we bridged. I sincerely thanked the rider from Farestart who did most of the pulling as we rejoined.
I was then able to ride with the group but always had issues on the climb, just no energy. I got to watch a friend attack with 4 to go and 3 others went with him. I could not chase him down so stayed at the back. They got caught in the middle of the climb.
Then with 2 to go the filed was splintered and I helped a small group chase back on, but then got blwon out the back on the climb. I did finish with my friend who attacked earlier, after we caught the back of the Masters.
I am glad I did it but was disappointed about my legs. Oh well, flat happens.
Next week it is the flats and BBQ night!
All the best to my teammates.

No comments: