July 11, 2011

Tour of the Unattended or "How I Spent My Summer Vacation"

I had not had a real vacation in 11 months. I also had not done a stage race since the 2007 edition of the Elkhorn Classic in Baker City Oregon (4 stage 3 day event which is the best around).
I decided to take this whole week off from work. I do not have the money to go anywhere, but just not being at work is a vacation. The timing could not have been more perfect, as the Tour is on and Cascade Bicycle Studio (http://www.cascadebicyclestudio.com/) had decided to put on an unofficial stage race this week in conjunction with the TDF. It was a free event, 5 stages held over 5 days (M-F), timetrials really as we had to ride each course on our own and report our times, held on courses in the Seattle area. The weather has not been very nice this week-mostly cloudy with periodic showers every day. It has been a lot like the Tour-cloudy, some rain, mild and muggy).

Monday was stage One, a 9 mile TT from the little community of Leshi, on the west side of Lake Washington to Seward Park (4.5 miles to the south) and back. We could not use aero equipment and had to report our own times. I rode from my home in Issaquah, approximately 17 miles east, a nice hour warm up over Mercer Island and Lake Washington. I was racing my single speed again, and soon was on "the course." It was a relatively flat out and back course along Lake Washington. I did it around 11:20 am and there was not much vehicular traffic, but a few bikes out enjoying the nice weather (pc and mild temps). I had a nice outbound section and was soon headed back. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was being paced by a heron, flying just over the shoreline of the lake at about my 2 O'Clock. It stayed with me for a few miles. Quite a cool site. I also saw several baby geese in the lake with their adult chaperons. Another cool site. I ended up clocking a 25:39.7.


Tuesday was Stage Two-a 13.4 mile counterclockwise loop on nearby Mercer Island. I love Mercer Island as it has very few traffic lights/stop signs and is a local mecca for cyclists with great views of Mt. Rainier. I ride it several times a year in both directions, and most of my rides are now on my single speed. I live about 11 miles away, and rode from home so had a nice warm up and was once again on my single speed. After Monday's stage I discovered that there were 14 entrants in this race, 10 men and 4 women. I was 8th in the men's race and all the women were beating me. BUT I WAS THE ONLY ONE ON A SINGLE SPEED. I raced the course in the late morning but encountered a ton of traffic. I also had to pass a very slow tractor and had 3 stops in the last mile due to traffic signals and tree work. A rather anticlimactic finish. I clocked a 40:32, leaving me still in 8th.

Wendseday was stage 3, a 2.1 mile hillclimb on Cougar Mtn, which is only 2 miles from my condo. I used to ride this climb every week but had not ridden it in almost 2 years. It is a well known and respected and feared local climb, 2 miles of severe grade that kicks at the start and never ever really lets up. This is the only stage that I rode a geared bike, my Merlin Ultralite with Campy Record and climbing gears (39x28). I rode it last Sunday for the first time in almost 2 years. My own timed course is a little longer as I time it from the very beginning to the actual crest, about a minute longer than the race routes. My Sunday time was 19 mins, or 18 for the race route, my slowest ever but I was getting used to the climb again, what I call a "shakedown ride." My time for the race was 17:15, or 18 for my course. I was happy with it as it had poured for most of the night and morning. The road was a bit slick, making it difficult to get out of the saddle as my rear tire would slip. At the end of the day I discovered I had made up some time on the 7th place rider, who was now only 10 seconds ahead. I was about 4 minutes ahead of 9th place.


Thursday was Stage 4, a 27.1 counterclockwise loop around the South end of Lake Washington.
I once again raced my single speed and rode from home so had a nice warm up. The weather was not ideal as it had had been raining off and on and it was quite muggy. The roads were a bit slick so I could not go all out. My rear tire really slid out en route to the race when I braked at the bottom of a very short but steep hill. The race course crossed the north end of Mercer Island, crossed Lake Washington on I 90, then did the first half of Monday's stage before going around the south end of Lake Washington. There was a great deal of late morning traffic and I missed most of the lights and had to slow for countless stop signs. I had a strong second half and was a bit tempted to stop at the Cowgirls Espresso stand to be served by bikini clad barristas. A bit like the Tour I guess. Oh well, I had my race face on and could not be bothered by espresso pumping, bikini clad young women. I clocked a 1:22:14, and by the end of the day I was still 8th, losing ground on 7th. Unlike the Tour I had to clean and detail and lube my own bike. I do love my "garage time" as it allows me to zone out as I clean, lube and detail.


Yesterday was the 5th and final stage, a 25.4 mile counterclockwise loop of May Valley. The weather was okay-mostly cloudy and mild and a lite wind and a bit muggy. But no rain. The race literally started outside my door as I live on this course. Unbelievably convenient. I felt like I was in the Tour as I had a "medical control" at 9 am, giving blood per my doctor's instructions (possible high lood pressure issue). I also had a back issue after yesterday so had a patch on my back. I don't think I had any doping issues but I left my bandages on as proof of my "hardman" quality. I have ridden a clockwise version of this course from home but with a different middle section, so the middle section of this stage was unknown to me. Once again I was on my 44x17 trusty single speed, meaning I raced 74.9 miles of the 77 miles of racing on my single speed. The first half was hectic as I missed most of the numerous traffic lights and had to slow for all of the numerous stop signs and made my way through traffic and congestic areas. But the second half was a lot of fun as I raced on familiar roads, passing fruit stands and many horse and cattle ranches. I sprinted passed my condo to finish at the crosswalk, celebrating my finish with a nice iced mocha (no bikini clad baristas or podium girls to celebrate with). I discovered that I clocked the 4th fastest time for this stage (1:12:16) and jumped into 7th for the final position.

All in all I was quite happy with this "race." I did 99% on my single speed, have held 8th place since the first day, had no flats or mechanicals or road rage issues. I am quite happy with how I have spent my summer vacation and eagerly await the 2012 edit of the Tour of The Unattended.

Vive Le Tour!!!!!!!

No comments: